Friday 17 April 2020

Business Networking Isn’t Dead – It’s Not Even in Hibernation

I heard on the grapevine, OK it was someone posting on LinkedIn, that business networking is meant to be dead in the wake of how much does a computer engineer make and I was actually stunned that they thought the world had stopped networking.

As many of us rapidly find ourselves and our businesses forced to close doors, hibernate or adapt it is understandable that in the face of these kinds of restrictions be it trading or simply an inability to gather in groups of more than two, that you could be forgiven for thinking that networking as we know it is in hibernation too.

Turns out nothing could be further from the truth and I think that there are a number of things driving us to reinvent what networking is in the modern age.

The truth is the rules are changing on a daily basis. Had you told me three weeks ago that I would have had to close the doors to my pub and stand down my 18 staff I would have laughed a lot but as Australia is grappling with the best way to flatten the curve my pub has been one of the many casualties now attempting to reinvent itself. Likewise, the direct impact to the hospitality and tourism sector meant that my social media agency took a 20% revenue hit literally overnight.

As an executive director for BNI Adelaide North I am speaking to my members, some 160 of them on a weekly basis and there is one common thread and it’s a really simple one “How the hell was I meant to plan for this? What the hell do I do now?”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Activities that have effectively conveyed innovation arrangements

 A Huawei answer for encouraging group of people activity focuses during the COVID-19 pandemic has won the COVID-19 Response Award at the Af...